Steps to install Linux, wine and Office 2003 as under.
1. Download latest Debian Linux image from below URI
2. Create a user called “meduser” with standard password. Follow onscreen instructions and install basic packages. When it asks for downloading packages from internet for latest version say “Yes” and allow installation from internet
3. After installation login to GUI as Root
4. Run command: apt-get update
5. Run command: apt-get install wine wine-bin libwine libwine-bin vim gedit
6. Type “Yes” to complete installation and follow onscreen instructions
7. Run command: apt-get install cabextract ttf-mscorefonts-installer
8. Run coomand: wget http://winetricks.org/winetricks
9. Run command: chmod +x winetricks
10. Run command: ./winetricks corefonts fontfix
11. Logout as root from the terminial. Copy the MS office 2003 CD contents / dump to regular user “Home” folder eg: copy to /home/meduser/office
12. Ensure we have a file called as PRO11.msi which is an MS installation setup package
13. Open terminal as meduser and Change directory to /home/meduser/office [which contains pro11.msi file]
14. Run command: wine msiexec /i /media/OFFICE11/pro11.msi
This will start the setup and installation of the Office 2003. Follow onscreen instructions. Wait for setup to complete and Click “Finish”.
15. Goto Applications > Wine > Programs > Microsoft Office > Microsoft Office Word 2003
1. Screenshots attached for your reference.
2. Information source: Google, winehq,
Please feel free to contact me incase of any aid required.