Weekend gone… there comes Monday 😦
I am at the office, obviously with Monday blues…. I logged on to my War-station (a.k.a Workstation) and saw an email to extend the striped meta devices.
To be frank with you all, I have not done this before on Symmetrix :(So fail-back to the Symmetrix array controls guide… Hurray!!! I got the command to extend the striped meta. But wait, I need to ensure few things before I can go and extend.
1. Check with platform team to ensure that there is a recent and valid backup of the meta devices
2. Schedule the change on the OOH (Out of Office Hours / Off Business Hours)
3. Check that the Symm devices available are of the same disk group, size, RAID etc as the source meta device which we are gonna extend… else check for uncarved space available from the same disk group
4. We need to create regular BCV (BCV+R-5 is not supported) meta device with the size same as the source meta device. (lets say source striped meta device is of size 50 GB then BCV should also be 50 GB)
5. Finally pray to God that all should go well… 😉
once the above must haves are ready. then type the below command in a text file called extend.cmd
add dev 0123:0126 to meta 0122 , protect_data=TRUE , bcv_meta_head=0222;
Symconfigure -sid zxxx -f z:\babu\extend.cmd preview -V -nop
Symconfigure -sid zxxx -f z:\babu\extend.cmd prepare -V -nop
Symconfigure -sid zxxx -f z:\babu\extend.cmd commit -nop
add dev 0123:0126 to meta 0122
we are adding device 0123,0124,0125 and 0126 to the source meta device 0122
we are specifying protect_data as True so that the data on the source device remains same. If we give as false then data is gone…
BCV 0222 will be established with the striped meta device 0122 and it will sync with BCV device 0222. Once the sync is complete then the striped device 0122 will be extended by adding the meta members 0123 through 0126.
1. It takes lot of time, in my case, to extend 400 GB lun, it took whopping 8 hours, even though Enginuity and patches are latest for the array.
2. It will take fraction of seconds in HDS / Hitachi arrays to extend the LUNs. Just add the sub-logical unit to the main lun. No need of BCV and other stuffs. But Hitachi will be compromised when it comes to LUN formatting…
3. Run the “Symdev -sid zxxx show 0122” to see the new size. Finally, host team will increase the LUN size by running the diskpart (windows) or format (solaris) commands.